Thursday, December 21, 2006

Copenhagen, Denmark (November 2006)

At the start of November I took off on a mini-European adventure which I strung together based on the cheapest EasyJet flights I could find! I wasn't terribly fussy about where I ended up - just keen to see some European cities while I was right on the doorstep!

So it was 5 days, 3 cities. So very whirlwind, but it was definitely enough for at least a taste of Denmark, Berlin and Budapest.

First stop: Copenhagen. First impressions? Bloody freezing! But I expected it so that was fine! It's a beautiful, clean and compact city, with some quite funky architecture mixed in with some classic old palaces and cathedrals. It's definitely a walkable city, and I think I covered most of it in the two days I was there.

Some photos...




This is the start of the longest pedestrian shopping strip in Continental Europe (but apart from the fact its long, there's basically just more of the same shops you see in every UK and European city!).



This is Newhavn, a pretty little district with lots of restaurants and cafes lining the canals

Something weird in a park. Too bad if actual people wanted to sit there...

The Little Mermaid - tiny sculpture out on a rock on the outskirts of Copenhagen that is the unofficial emblem of the city.


Copenhagen at night:



And at sunrise (the view from my hostel room):

Palace in the botanic gardens:

Oh yeah, we Rasmussens are all over this place! You know how annoyed people were getting when they found out my surname, and then discovered I couldn't speak Danish??? They were mortified!

Lots of yachts moored in the canals:






One of the entrances to Chritianhavn, which is this community that by law is actually separate to the city of Copenhagen - they have their own laws and are completely self-sufficient and independent (the community make their money through restaurants, shops etc.) - basically just a bunch of hippies though. Pretty cool little place though, if not a bit weird:

And just some more pics around the city:


No comments: